Paid Summer Opportunity:
Now Accepting Applications
The Máya Wapána Internship program supports healthy lands, waters, and the community of the Iowa Tribe of Kansas and Nebraska.
Interns will receive hands-on experience working with a Tribal department or program that focuses on environmental, cultural, and/or human health. Interns will learn about climate adaptation and resilience from local and regional partners, and identify ways they can contribute to future climate adaptation planning efforts of the Iowa Tribe.
Learning opportunities include:
- Ioway arts, language, and culture
- Prairie and Oak Savanna restoration
- Regenerative Agriculture
- Harvesting and preparing traditional foods
- Traditional Ecological Knowledges
- Climate adaptation planning
- Nature trail design and construction
- Pollinator health
- Participants will work 5 days/week for 8 weeks.
- Work alongside an Iowa Tribe department or program- including but not limited to the Ioway Tribal National Park.
- Participate in weekly climate resilience education opportunities, including regional field trips and meeting with guest presenters.
- Participants will conduct a project on climate adaptation and resilience.
- Possible projects include pollinator habitat studies, traditional foods mapping, community asset mapping, trail design, or art and climate communications.
- Ioway Climate Resilience staff will support the design and development of the projects.
- 8-week Program (June-August)
- Monday-Friday, some weekend field trips and educational opportunities possible
- Stipend of $4,500
- Some food and field equipment provided
Who should apply:
This opportunity is open to any current college and/or trade school students, or recent graduates who are interested in the environment, culture, and community of the Iowa Tribe. Priority will be given to members of the Iowa Tribe of Kansas and Nebraska- including those who do not currently reside in the service area.
**If you are unsure if you meet these requirements please see the contact info below
For more information: Brett Ramey – firstname.lastname@example.org
APPLICATION CLOSED – Thank you to all that have applied!